Re: How to upgrade RPM?

Scot Mc Pherson wrote:
On Wednesday 23 June 2004 08:53 am, James Olin Oden wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

How does one upgrade RPM or GLIBC or other runtime dependency while using
RPM to do it?

With rpm (-;. For instance, when I am hacking away at RPM, and I have decided what I have done should be OK, on my test system, I'lll do:

	rpm -Uvh rpm-$ver-$rel.i386.rpm rpm-devel-$ver-$rel.i386.rpm
rpm-build-$ver-$rel.i386.rpm popt-$ver2-$rel.i386.rpm

replacing the $ver, $ver1, and $rel with real versions and realeas.

Cheers...james

You don't have any issues with the software locking up because runtime libs aren't available between uninstallation and installation?

RPM installs the new version first, then removes any files which were owned by the old version and not replaced by the new one, so the window your question assumes doesn't exist.

Last time I tried this was with 4.1, perhaps things have changed? I need to try it I guess. Of course that means I have rpm-4.1 running on this system and have built rpms and the runtime chain for rpm-4.3.2 and want to upgrade using rpm and not just $ make install

Tres. -- =============================================================== Tres Seaver tseaver@xxxxxxxx Zope Corporation "Zope Dealers" http://www.zope.com