Re: rpmdb

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Rick Dennis wrote:

> Does anyone know of any utils that would allow me to edit the rpmdb directly?  Like installf and removef on Solaris, there are a few fringe (but important to me) cases where these tools would be helpful.  TIA.

Hi Rick,

RPM's database is using Berkeley DB, so conceivably you could use one of
the various script bindings or the C api to do that.  That said,
the db is just a bunch of key value pairs where the key is a monotonicly
increasing value, and the value is a blob (an rpm header) with various
indexs generated against this.  So doing something like installf on
solaris will not be trivial.  Also, there are other issues like checksums
and signatures which will break if you do this.  Jeff Johnson (or some
of the other RPM hackers) could probably clarify this far better than
I as the RPM DB code is something I try very hard to stay out of.

Cheers...james