Re: packager question

In regard to: packager question, Joe Landman said (at 9:45pm on Jun 17, 2004):

 We are building RPMs for bioinformatics tools.  These RPMs are either
completely constructed by us, or someone else contributes them, and we
test/build, and tweak for multiple platforms.

 With that in mind, when should one change the %packager section of
RPMs?  I want to make sure that if we change it, we are following
relevant standard practices.  We are placing notes in the %changelog
section when we change the spec file, or the code base changes.

It's my opinion that Packager: should *always* match who produced the package, so my response would be "always".

If someone else does 99% of the work and you're just taking their spec
file and source code and packaging it up, you're still the one doing the
packaging.  If you want to be respectful of their original work, adding a
comment to the changelog and/or description that gives credit where it's
due would be fine, but you shouldn't "feel bad" about changing the
packager to be you, even when that's the only thing you've changed.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx