Re: Free list corrupt error; no luck with rebuilddb

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 17:37, Paolo Campanella wrote:
> [paolo@modemsza rpm-db-copy]$ file packages.rpm
> packages.rpm: data
>
> The start of the packages.rpm does indeed look different to the rest. So
> I suppose I'm now asking for any advice on how to recover data from a
> trashed db.1.85 file ;)

To answer myself for the benefit of future strugglers, I found the
answers to all my problems in Jeff Johnson's subsequent post on a
different thread:

The primary reason to move from rpm-3.0.x is to avoid catastrophic
database loss from "Free list corrupt." The installed package headers
are saved with a clever-but-imperfect first fit scheme in the file
/var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm. In rpm-4.0.x, the scheme is replaced
with a Berkeley DB hash, so any damage has a prayer of being repaired
using utilities provided with Sleepycat Berkeley DB. Re-install is
the only answer I have for "Freelist corrupt."

Note that rpm-4.0.4 can often reconnect the chain of headers. OTOH,
I have exactly zero interest in backporting the fix, rpm-3.0.x is
dead code, and support for the first-fit rpmdb scheme has been entirely
removed in rpm-4.1.

So, I got hold of the rpm-4.0.4 source, compiled and installed it to a
private directory, and used rpm --rebuilddb --dbpath my_private_dir,
which successfully rebuild the database. Thereafter, I had to download
the rpm-4.1 source (4.0.4 seemed unable to read the database it had
created itself; 4.2 had not source available) and installed that. And so
on.