Re: RPM features and reasons to upgrade to the current version.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:19:42AM +1200, Michael Honeyfield wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am working with RPMv3.0.x at this sage. I would like to see RPMv4.x.x put in use. However, the person in charge of such choices will not accept my answer of "Because we should..."
>
> So....
>
> Can people here tell me why, both technically and for an end user, we should move from RPMv3.0.x (which is working fine) to the current version?

The primary reason to move from rpm-3.0.x is to avoid catastrophic
database loss from "Free list corrupt." The installed package headers
are saved with a clever-but-imperfect first fit scheme in the file
/var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm. In rpm-4.0.x, the scheme is replaced
with a Berkeley DB hash, so any damage has a prayer of being repaired
using utilities provided with Sleepycat Berkeley DB. Re-install is
the only answer I have for "Freelist corrupt."

Note that rpm-4.0.4 can often reconnect the chain of headers. OTOH,
I have exactly zero interest in backporting the fix, rpm-3.0.x is
dead code, and support for the first-fit rpmdb scheme has been entirely
removed in rpm-4.1.

> Just to help narrow things down....
>
> We have no interest in the python API bindings, well, I do, but I am not making the choices.
>
> We have no interest in writing specs in xml.
>
> So other than those two features... what else it there?

There's a slew of bug fixes, the most important (imho) of which
is the "Freelist corrupt fix."

OTOH, there ain't nothing wrong with rpm-3.0.x either. If your
machine "just works" with rpm-3.0.x, well, live with that.

If you have any desire for support, or upgrades, I'd suggest
getting rid of the first-fit scheme in favor of Berkeley DB
would permit support/upgrades.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ