Re: RPM features and reasons to upgrade to the current version.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:19:42AM +1200, Michael Honeyfield wrote:
> I am working with RPMv3.0.x at this sage. I would like to see
> RPMv4.x.x put in use. However, the person in charge of such choices
> will not accept my answer of "Because we should..."

> Can people here tell me why, both technically and for an end user, we
> should move from RPMv3.0.x (which is working fine) to the current
> version?

One reason to keep up with development is that if you lag too far
behind, you may end up with an old obsolete version that nothing works
with anymore, facing a huge single upgrade leap into something
completely different. Taking baby-steps upwards and adjusting into new
ways one at a time is usually easier.

--
And like the fellow said, 911 is basically a pig and you can't
make a racehorse out of a pig. But you can make a really