Good resource for installing binaries via RPM?

Hi all -

We use an application which is installed via an installer script and a tarball - it's not a source tarball.  The installation process is kind of weird - you have to create a certain directory structure and unpack the tarball into it.  Then you run two scripts which install the software.

The scripts just create a config file, sets some permissions and adds a line to /etc/services.  The config file is identical across every machine it is installed on except for a few small changes like hostname.

I know what files and directories the installer script creates, and what the permissions are.

So what I am thinking is I want to create an RPM to copy the files to the system and then in %post change the config file from a generic version to one with those small changes in it using sed.

Has anyone done this?  Is there a "best practice" on doing it?  Or better yet, and example on the Web of the spec file?

Thanks!
--
Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Assistant Vice President

The opinions expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, Bank of America.