Re: RPM features and reasons to upgrade to the current version.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Lynn Bendixsen wrote:

> RPM 4.0.4 and later provides transaction support for RPM.

And with this you get the ability to rollback rpm transactions (see my
Linux Journal article for "docs" and caveats (-:).  Also, some future
version will support automatically rolling back a transaction.

Also, in the area of builds 4 is a lot more stringent which from the
perspective of configuration management is a good thing.

Oh, Yeah, almost forgot 4.x supports the concept of color which is a
funny way of describing a packages's/transaction's bent towards 32-bitness
or 64-bitness.  In short, it supports 64 bit linuxes.

Cheers...james

P.S. Also, a lot of good thing are comming down the pipe, but are not
released yet.  For instance, I have spied pre and post transaction
scriptlets, transaction locks, and of course addition of rpms own
embeded lua interpreter.  If I ever get the time you will see install
time evaluation of macros...or maybe someone else will do this.