Re: Installation Questions during the rpm installation

Le jeu, 22/04/2004 Ã 00:31 -0700, Baz a Ãcrit :

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for the answer, but i think i mislead you.
>
> Lets say, the installation checking the port available during the
> installation. If the port is not available, ask for user input. Or, lets say
> Oracle SID...etc.
>
> How can i ask for user inputs? If I cannot do it with RPM, then how do you
> guys approach this type of issues?

Simple answer : you can not.
The installation phase is totally separated from the configuration phase
on rpm systems.

If you need a configuration helper, it must be run manually by the admin
when he needs it. This means :
- the admin chooses when he configures stuff, not the install/update
system
- it can be executed as many times as needed without requiring a
reinstall
- you are not buried under senseless config questions during
installation and unattended install/updates are possible

Of course the "Red Hat way" has also been described as providing good
defaults so the config phase is limited to the minimum.

Note this also means it is difficult to autolaunch stuff during the
install, but this has been proved countless times to be a security risk
so you shall never do it.

The rules are different on other systems. But again other systems do not
achieve the same TCO as a Linux system, and this part in one of the big
reasons they do not.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot