Re: Installation Questions during the rpm installation

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 09:29:36PM -0700, Baz wrote:
> All,
>
> I think I post this question before and the reply is "There is no
> interaction during rpm installation".
>
> My question now is: Do you guys create rpm installer that do not ask
> questions? For example, if your application is relying on
> TOMCAT_HOME and your rpm installation can detect it, and what if rpm
> annot find it?

Tomcat should be installed by rpm so tomcat home is known (and a FHS compliant)
- see http://jpackage.org/ for many java packages - for jpackage you'd install
to /var/lib/tomcat4/webapps/foo

For this case the answer is simple though - use a prefix and make a relocatable package as long as your web app is self contained - ie:

foo/WEB-INF/{web.xml,lib,classes}
foo/foo.jsp ...

A relocatable rpm works well for the case of tomcat home

> What will you do to get user input? Will you use a
> shell scripts to invoke the rpm installation?

You don't get user input - the user can relocate using rpm --prefix
/opt/jakarta-tomcat/webapps

If the user is not using rpm to install tomcat but then using rpm to install
webapps this is problematic to start with - relocation is probably the correct
approach.

The point though is intresting as if you have multiple instances of tomcat
would you want to install to all instances (eg tomcat3, tomcat4), this stuff
needs to be thought about as part of the Common Java Packaging effort.

Paul