Re: Replacing Config Files

In regard to: Replacing Config Files, Piela, Ben said (at 8:40am on Apr 13,...:

>I was wondering how others manage config file changes.  I would like to take
>a few config files ( like syslog.conf and resolv.conf ) and, after a system
>install, replace them through a "config" RPM if possible.  But, the obvious
>problem here is that the files are owned by other RPMs and my files will not
>install via a basic rpm -ivh command.  I could use --force, but that doesn't
>"feel" right to me.

You could instead use --replace-files, but that's little better.

You've done a good job of elucidating the issues.  At one time we wanted
to do something like this, and were discouraged by the same issues.

What we're doing, since we're using kickstart heavily, is customizing
config files via scripts run in the kickstart %post section.  This makes
installs reproduceable.

What we probably should be doing is that *plus* something like cfengine.
We're relatively happy with kickstart and %post install scripts for now.
cfengine probably pays huge dividends, but it's not an investment we're
ready for at this point.  Perhaps you are though.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx