Re: Replacing Config Files

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Piela, Ben wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering how others manage config file changes.  I would like to take
> a few config files ( like syslog.conf and resolv.conf ) and, after a system
> install, replace them through a "config" RPM if possible.  But, the obvious
> problem here is that the files are owned by other RPMs and my files will not
> install via a basic rpm -ivh command.  I could use --force, but that doesn't
> "feel" right to me.

What we do is have the file delivered to a seperate location, and then in
a trigger (or %post script) overwrite the original.  Seems to work fine
even with --rollback or the experimental autorollback.

> The same problem arises when I receive 3rd Party vendor RPMs with basic
> config files that I would like to change upon install.  The vendor only
> supplies binary RPMs so I cannot change the source.
>
> With all of this, there is also the problem of what happens when the
> sysklogd RPM is upgraded.  It will probably overwrite my new and improved
> syslog.conf file, thus forcing me to re-install my "config" RPM.  I guess
> that I could live with that if I had a process that made sense.

Again, triggers are your friend, as you can have a trigger that puts
your original back in place or merges its content into the new one
whenever sysklogd rpm is upgraded.   See:

	 /usr/share/doc/rpm-${your_rpm_version}/triggers

for more info...james