From: rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Hatle
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 12:26 PM
To: RPM Package Manager
Subject: Re: Install sequencing

If you have proper run-time dependencies, you can generally bootstrap the filesystem (provide a couple of necessary files and directories) and then do the initial RPM install in one big shot..

rpm -i <list of ALL of the packages>

(or -U) rpm will automatically reorder the install based on dependencies.. (but again this assumes you have proper run-time dependencies in your packages.)

--Mark

Aaron Hanson wrote:

Hi All-

I'm using RPM to install a complete embedded system of approximately
216 packages. Working from an alphbetized list of all the packages, I've created a very simple shell script that uses rpmcache,

followed

by a loop of 'rpm -i --aid' calls into a test install area. The end result is what I'd call a properly sequenced list of rpm

transactions

to install the complete system. But the resulting list is

not optimal;

it includes some VERY large groups of rpms that could actually be broken up into smaller sets.

Before I re-invent the wheel; has anyone got a

suggestion on the

best way to do this?

Thanks.

-Aaron