generating a complete package install sequence

Hi All-

    I'm using rpm to install a complete system. I have an alphabetical list of packages which varies from time to time, but is 'depends-requires' consistent as a whole. I've come up with a simple shell script that uses 'rpmcache' followed by a test installation (rpm --initdb, rpm -i -aid --root <test-area>, etc) that results in a valid install sequence list, including some package groupings.

    However the list is not optimal; some package groups are unnecessarily large.

    Before I experiment further, has anybody done something similar, and have some scripts they'd like to share? Thanks.

-Aaron