Re: chkconfig and init scripts (RH/Fedora specific)

On Wednesday, 17 March 2004, at 07:17:15 (-0800),
Michael A. Peters wrote:

> So while there really is no way to stop rpm from changing
> permissions on a file that rpm owns when upgrading, there are
> facilities to stop it from re-adding a service to chkconfig that has
> been removed from chkconfig management.
>
> I'm not fond of situations where an administrator is forced to use a
> bolton to sysV because of the way that the distro writes the spec
> files.

First off, and let's be very clear about this, RPM must take ownership
of certain files and file meta-data in order to be effective as a
package manager.  Permissions and file ownerships are most definitely
in that category.  Otherwise, you wouldn't get very far after
installing /bin/sh with mode 000.

Secondly, binary RPM's are intended to comply with the properties of
the distribution.  If you're mucking around with files owned by your
distribution, you need to do it the right way.  Take the SRPM and
modify it to suit your needs, build it, and install the resulting
packages with the permissions you desire.

Whatever packaging system you use, be it RPM, dpkg, HP's sw depot,
Solaris pkg, or whatever, it has to maintain a certain level of
control, consistency, and sanity.  If you find yourself continually
being bitch-slapped by your package manager, perhaps there's a better
way of doing what you're trying to do.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>