Re: Internal Lua support on RPM

This is just a phrase. A true one. :-)

> What happens with the directory-fd's pointing outside chroots? Will
> bad dynamical loaded libraries kill the entire rpm?

What kind of bad dynamical loaded libraries? The main target is not
self-made shared-objects, while it is possible with the current
implementation. The current main target is allowing filesystem
operations and other usual operations without the need for an
external interpreter.

I'm curious. Do you have an environment where you don't trust the
packagers even though you install the packages made by them? Can
you describe how it works? I'm sure you're not using root, are
you? Then, what kind of problems might result from running it?
I also belive you don't have any packages with proc filesystem,
devices, etc, right?

> > - Internal scripts operate even under unfriendly situations
> >   like stripped chroots (anyone said installers?)
>
> How will this interact with '--root' operations? E.g. on date

It will interact correctly, doing the necessary chroot operation.

> operations, will /etc/localtime from host or chrootfilesystem be used?

The Lua API itself will use whatever is loaded in rpm. Do you think
using in the Lua API the same time as is available to rpm is a
problem?

> Or on name-lookups, will the libnss* libraries from host or the chroot
> be loaded (related to non-fork questions above)?

The Lua API itself does no name-lookups. Can you give me an example
where this might cause problems for you?

> Does there exist a way to hook into it; e.g. so that some actions
> (changing context) can be done before the lua scripts will be
> executed? And/or can dangerous operations (loadlib, loadfile) be
> disabled globally?

Disabling loadfile is meaningless. Disabling loadlib is possible, and
there are other alternatives to "protect" rpm as well. OTOH, I'd like
to understand your environment, as I explained above. If you're really
relying on the fact that installed packages can't do anything outside
the chroot, nor kill rpm, you're probably in trouble.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net