Re: How to enter values during the rpm -i and use them in the postinstall process

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 16:53, Baz wrote:
> "rpm -i software_a.rpm STRING1 STRING2"
[...]
> I would like to be able to doing something in the postinstall section of the
> spec file such as:
>
> "echo $STRING1"
> "echo $STRING2"

You cannot do this with rpm as it is at present.

> So, nobody actually pass parameters, values while doing "rpm -i"??? How does
> one able to do what I want to do in their installation? I am sure that it is
> not uncommon to do it, am i right?

You *cannot* do this at present.  So it is *really* uncommon.

> 5. If I cannot pass the values from the "rpm -i" command, then how can i
> assign STRING1 and STRING2 during the installation? Prompts in postinstall
> part of the spec file?

rpm installations should never be interactive.  A couple of vendors do
try things like this, but it really sucks - especially if you later want
to update the package (all the automatic tools won't work because they
will not feed stuff to the install process).

Instead do some scripting so that the first time the package is used you
ask the user for the configuration.  Or just refuse to run until someone
fixes the config.  Or do something like firstboot.

rpm is an installation/upgrade/package management tool.  It is not a
configuration management tool and does not have any such functions.

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel.Metheringham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]