Re: postinstall script question

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Baz wrote:

> All,
>
> How can I do the followings during the installation:
>
> rpm -i package.rpm -D/opt/mydirectory -Nservername
>
> How can i take inputs -D/opt/mydirectory and -Nservername into the
> postinstall process? How can I script the postinstall part of the spec file?

If I understand you correctly, you want to change the behavior of
scriplets based on "variables" that are given at install time.  One way
that would be nice to be able to do this is by scriptlets being evaluated
at install time, and then you could use "--define 'key value'" when
installing as set of rpms.  Presently, though, that is not supported in
rpm (though there is work on making this happen...think real bleeding
edge).

So, what you are left with then are means external to rpm to communicate
this "state info" to your scriptlets.  You can use environent various,
though I don't advise it.  Or you could, better, have your scriptlet
read in some file that is supposed to be on the system that contains this
information.  If your using bash for your interpreter of your scriptlets
then this "config" file, and simply be a script that gets sourced in.
This would then mean that something would have to happen before rpm
is called to create this config file; the means is up to your and your
needs (vi, script wrapper around rpm that generates it, some UI, ect.).

Bottom line is you can get there, but you have to have control of the
scriptlets (i.e. be able to change them and rebuild the RPM's), and you
will have to solve the problem external to rpm (unless I am wrong, and I
am sure someone will let me know if that is the case (-;).

Cheers...james