Re: rpm2cpio successfully unpacking corrupt rpm file?

Toralf Lund wrote:

I just had a situation where 'rpm -U' on an specific RPM failed with signature error, and 'rpm -U --nodigest --nosignature' installed some files, then aborted with cpio error. However,

rpm2cpio <rpm file> | cpio -itvmu

O well. I got the commands mixed up a bit, there. "cpio -itv" is what I used to list the contents of the package before doing the actual install. I didn't include the "t" when unpacking the files, of course.

unpacked and installed all files with no complaints (which saved me from a lot of extra work, as this was the kernel-source rpm on a system where I have to recompile the network driver after upgrading the kernel...) How could this happen?

- Toralf