Re: header (hdr) files

On 10 Feb 2004, seth vidal wrote:

> > Also, is there an API (C or perl or something else) which I can use to
> > access these files?
>
> C, yes, perl, dunno, python, yes.

Perl, potentially, but not today.  RPM2 can get the header from
and actuall rpm, but it can't read a disembodied rpm header (or a list
of them like anaconda's hdlist).  Twouldn't be hard to make it work,
if you have the time send pull down RPM2 from cpan, and send your
patches to cturner@xxxxxxxxxx (-;

Cheers...james

> it's a simple rpm.headerLoad(fd.read()) in python.
>
> where the fd is a fd of a .hdr file.

If you want a simple intro to the C API check out the Red Hat RPM Guide
from Wiley.  The chapter talking about transactions ignore as it concerns
rollbacks and repackaged packages, but everything is pretty right on, and
the section on the API is straight forward (wish I had this about a year
and a half ago).

Cheers...james