Re: Updating RPMs using binary deltas (demo 2)

Hi Michael,

> I am not sure they are finished yet, but if you want to use them feel
> free.

Thanks. For now I thought of just specifying the old and new rpm name in
applyrpmdelta.sh and bundling it with the delta and the two binaries. I
agree with you that it's not finished yet, the binaries should not be
bundled with the delta, but since it's usable I don't see why not to use
it (even in it's current form) and I would not make available the php
src rpm otherwise, just the spec file and the patches.

I know that for practical use applying a delta is probably even somewhat
more difficult than copying patches and spec file to the build tree.

But since I don't see a SPEC and patches repository for Fedora being
created any time soon I thought it might just be as well for people to
get used to the idea of using deltas instead :) . Since deltaing src
rpms works great as long as there is no version jump (ie the main
tarball stays identical, fe still using the old script the size of the
two deltas between php-4.3.4-1.1.src.rpm and php-4.3.4-1.1lj.src.rpm is
3274 bytes, while the delta between 4.3.3-6 and 4.3.4-1.1 is slightly
larger than the individual src rpms). A few Ks for both the delta(s) and
the binaries used in patching is still a *lot* less than the whole >
3.5MB src rpm.

> I had already written one, but omitted to upload it.

Am I correct in assuming rpmmangle and rpmunmangle only need linking
against zlib?

Bye,
Leonard.