Errors with rpmbuild

Hi,

    I am working with some old makefiles which invoke
rpm to build RPMs. Since I am working on Red Hat Linux
9, I have changed the rpm -bb invocations to rpmbuild
-bb.

    On executing this makefile, I get the following
error message:

rpm -bb rpmname.spec
Processing files: rpmname-1
Checking for unpackaged file(s):
/usr/lib/rpm/check-files %{buildroot}
getOutputFrom(): Broken pipe

The spec file that I have got has the following
format:

Packager : xyz
AutoReqProv : no
Requires : list of rpms

%description
Description of product

%files
%attr(-, root, root) /usr/productname/jar1.jar
%attr(-, root, root) /usr/productname/jar2.jar
%attr(-, root, root) /usr/productname/dir1
%attr(-, root, root) /usr/productname/dir2
%attr(-, root, root) /usr/productname/dir3
%attr(-, root, root) /usr/productname/dir4
%attr(-, root, root) /usr/productname/dir5
%attr(-, root, root) /usr/productname/dir6

The required jars and the other directories are placed
in /usr/productname/ using the makefile before
invoking rpmbuild.

Checking further, I see that the prep and the build
phases pass, but the install phase is the one that
gives the 'Broken pipe' error. Also the '-bl'
(check-files) option also gives the same error.

Looking at the error message, any idea where the
problem might lie? Or any techniques to debug? Help
appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted