RE: /usr/lib or /usr/libexec?

Title: RE: /usr/lib or /usr/libexec?

-----Original Message-----
From: Toralf Lund [mailto:toralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 11:33 PM
To: rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: /usr/lib or /usr/libexec?

Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

>*/lib is reserved for libraries generally
>*/libexec is reserved for executables initiated by an already runing program.

Based on this, I guess it would be right to put DSOs in
/usr/lib/<package> and executables in /usr/libexec/<package>

>linux from scratch limits the use of libexec and we use the option
>--with-libexec=/usr/bin or /usr/sbin in most cases to eliminate a libexec
>directory which ends up holding very very few files at all.
>
>I suggest you use /usr/lib for your things. But why do you want to keep them
>separated into subdirectories? One of the reasons for using package
>management systems is to eliminate this need of separating each package into
>subdirectories.

Yes and no. I think you should still try to keep directories like
/usr/bin and /usr/lib nice and tidy, and for instance store programs on
/usr/bin only when it's meaningful to execute them on their own.
Executables that have a useful function only when started (in some
special way) by a different programs should *not* be installed on
/usr/bin, or anywhere else on typical executions paths, IMO. I've also
been thinking that perhaps /usr/lib should be reserved for files that
have true library functionality and are shared by different
applications, as opposed to more "private" code put into .so files for
technical reasons.

On the more practical side, one of the reasons I why want to install
files outside the normal libdir (or on a subdirectory) is that I
sometimes need to package special versions of libs that may already

If you need special libs version and you have only few exe files static link
Will safe both disk-space and memory.

Valery

exist in some other form on the target setup - so using the default
location is obviously a bad idea because it may lead to file conflicts.
And no, I wouldn't package my software like that, either, in an ideal
world, or if there wasn't anything called a "deadline", or if I were to
install it, not some stupid user ;-/

- Toralf