Re: How to handle requires/provides with DSOs are in non-standard locations?

In regard to: How to handle requires/provides with DSOs are in non-standard...:

>A-libs provides libb.so.1, but only for the use by package A.
>
>Is this possible? Or is there a better way to handle the dependencies?
>Obviously, I could drop all references to libs, and have dependency on
>(virtual) packages instead, but this doesn't seem very neat... Any other
>suggestions?

I can think of no elegant solution to this problem.  Is this an
application and library that you control?  Could you give the library
an SONAME that no other application is likely to ever use?

I'm not sure exactly how the Red Hat `glibc' package is built, such that it
defines a number of "Version definitions", but perhaps you could play
games with your library so that it does the same.  See

	rpm -q --provides glibc

and

	objdump -x /lib/libc.so.6

for an example of some of the version definitions glibc has.  If you could
get your library so that it *only* provides

	libb.so.1(APPLICATION_A_PRIVATE)

(and not just `libb.so.1') or something like that, other packages that
require a library with a SONAME of libb.so.1 would never think that your
library satisfies that requirement.

All of these depend on you being able to manipulate how the library is
built.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx