Quick question, sure it is a FAQ, need a pointer/clue on how to handle

Hi Folks:

  Doing some RPM building, and ran into something I am not sure how to
handle.  Some portion of these packages are man pages.  In the %files
section, I have them all listed.

  The binary build works to the point of packaging, where I start to get
complaints about missing man pages.   Specifically that it cannot find
the files that exist in the tree named */man/man?/*.1 and related.
Looking in the tree, I found the man pages had been compressed, so the
%files entries would be technically incorrect without appending a .gz at
the end.

  I tried to work around this by including a modified macro set in the
spec file itself:

#### fix the post install ...
%__os_install_post    \
#    /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-compress \
    /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip %{__strip} \
    /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-static-archive %{__strip} \
    /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-comment-note %{__strip} %{__objdump} \
%{nil}

after looking at what /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-compress does and seeing
that it is handling all of the man page compression.  This did not work.

Any hints at what to do?  Do I need to fix the spec file?  Set an option
or two?  I can provide the SPEC file, but don't want to spam the list
with it.

This is rpm-4.2-0.69 on RH9.  Package is mpich-1.2.5.2.

Thanks.

Joe