Question about uninstalling rpms

So, I am running Linux 9 on a Dell Poweredge.  I decided to get away from
Windows 2003 and just run a standalone server for web services and FPSE
support.

I have learned that it is much better to use rpms from the redhat site
rather than going to the producer and installing them using make.

Before I knew this, I went to openssh.org and "upgraded" my openssh
software.  I am not sure when it stopped working but it started giving me
and error when I would try to start sshd:
sshd failed.  The error was starting sshd:  /etc/ssh/sshd_config line 20;
garbage at the end of the line.

I looked at that file and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

So, then I decided to just get rid of it and reinstall.  I tried to do the
rpm -e command but it couldn't uninstall due to dependencies.  I tried to
do rpm -i and it said it was already installed.

I am thinking that I have two versions of ssh on my system....not sure
though.

Then I decided to go to Gnome and remove all of the dependencies.  I was
able to uninstall the openssh-askpassgnome and openssh-askpass parts of it
but couldn't figure out how to uninstall the server and clients part.

I am thinking that I should just delete the ssh directory under /etc and
try to trick the system into thinking that it is not there and trying to
install over what is here.

Can someone please help me fix this mess so that I can get the openssh rpm
from Red Hat and start over again?

Not sure if I can just delete directories or if there is much more
involved.

Many thank yous to anyone who will help me.  Dell says they don't do
that:(

Donna