Re: RH9 breaks bash ?

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 14:10, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> Works on RH9 bash built-in echo, but it does not provide a single
> command form usable on all systems because the built-in echo does
> not do the right thing, with or without -e, on bash 1.14.5(1).

I looked into this and it seems that echo has this problem a lot. Some
versions use escape characters, others do not. Posix.2 chimes in further
restricts what echo can do (by default).
   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/utilities/echo.html
Posix defines the escape character handling as implementation defined.
But, in the same paragraph, defines them as supported on XSI-conformant
systems (thus the xpg option flag in bash).

In the informative section of the spec, they suggest using printf(1)
instead of echo for portable behavior.  Printf supports the escape
characters in the format and in the arguments strings when using %b in
place of %s.

--
  enjoy
    scott