Problems compiling RPM 4.2.1 on Solaris 8

Hi Folks,

I've been trying on and off for the past few weeks to try and get _some_
version of RPM 4.x to compile under Solaris 8 and it seems I hit a
different snag with each one.  I've been over the list archives and
looked thru Bugzilla, and although some of the patches/workarounds there
go me thru a particular compile problem, it always seemed like something
else would then crop up.  Very frustrating...

My latest compile attempt was using RPM 4.2.1 (from the
rpm-4.2.1-4.2.src.rpm for RH Enterprise 3).  I got some compile errors
about missing headers, which looked to me like they were from the
openssl package, so I compiled openssl locally and pointed to its
include and lib dirs with CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS respectively.  But even
after re-running configure and make, I still see the same errors, and it
also looks like it's looking for beecrypt.h, which isn't part of openssl
as far as I can tell.  (What is beecrypt a part of?)  Specifics of the
compile and error msgs are below.

So a couple of questions for the list:

1) Am I doing something wrong/stupid here or am I missing some other
required package?  I'm not sure how up to date the INSTALL file is in
the distribution, it looks strangely similar to the one that was in rpm
4.1

2) Has anyone managed to successfully compile _any_ version 4.x of RPM
for Solaris at all?  I really really really want to use it for tracking
package installations for this project I'm working on, since the Solaris
packaging mechanism is so archaic and feature-less! :) Unfortunately
I've got specific requirements for this project about where I can
install RPM itself and keep the RPM DB directory, so I don't think I can
use any of the pre-built RPM binaries that I've seen for Solaris out
there.

Thanks in advance to any advice you can provide!

cheers,
-steve

% env CC=gcc CPPFLAGS='-I/localdisk/scratch/smuskiew/openssl/include'
LDFLAGS='-L/localdisk/scratch/smuskiew/openssl/lib' ./configure
--prefix=/opt/cad/tools/rpm --without-python --disable-nls
--without-java-glue
[snip]

% make
[snip]
rm -f .libs/digest.lo
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I. -I.. -I../popt -I../zlib
-I/localdisk/scratch/smuskiew/openssl/include -g -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE
-D_REENTRANT -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-char-subscripts -c digest.c
-Wp,-MD,.deps/digest.TPlo  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/digest.lo
In file included from digest.c:6:
rpmio_internal.h:12: beecrypt.api.h: No such file or directory
In file included from digest.c:6:
rpmio_internal.h:16: beecrypt.h: No such file or directory
rpmio_internal.h:17: base64.h: No such file or directory
rpmio_internal.h:18: dsa.h: No such file or directory
rpmio_internal.h:19: endianness.h: No such file or directory
In file included from digest.c:6:
rpmio_internal.h:22: rsa.h: No such file or directory
rpmio_internal.h:23: rsapk.h: No such file or directory
rpmio_internal.h:24: sha1.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [digest.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/localdisk/scratch/smuskiew/rpm-4.2.1/rpmio'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/localdisk/scratch/smuskiew/rpm-4.2.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2