Re: how to cross compile a src rpm for ppc?

(regarding my previous question about how to identify the toolchain
for cross-compiling a src.rpm:)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Eli Carter wrote:

> What I've done is modify the macros file to look like this:
>
> %__ar			%{_cross_compile}ar
> %__as			%{_cross_compile}as
> %__cc			%{_cross_compile}gcc
> %__cpp			%{_cross_compile}gcc -E
> %__cxx			%{_cross_compile}g++
> %__ld			%{_cross_compile}ld
> %__nm			%{_cross_compile}nm
> %__objcopy		%{_cross_compile}objcopy
> %__objdump		%{_cross_compile}objdump
> %__ranlib		%{_cross_compile}ranlib
> %__remsh		%{__rsh}
> %__strip		%{_cross_compile}strip
> %__size			%{_cross_compile}size
>
> And then run rpm with --define="_cross_compile arm-linux-" with my ARM
> Linux toolchain in my $PATH.
>
> (It would be nice if something like this was in the mainline... ;)  I
> suppose this could be improved to figure out what _cross_compile should
> be based on --target...)

my thoughts exactly.  until recently, i'd never had any need to cross-
compile a source rpm, and it was just a touch frustrating that i couldn't
find a recipe explaining how to do it.

all of the standard documentation re: rpm praises the concept of a
"src.rpm" file, from which you can rebuild the binary and, in passing,
these same docs typically mention the possibility of building for another
architecture.  but that's as far as they go.

as i mentioned, the "red hat rpm guide" has a section, "building for
other platforms", which sounds promising, and mentions "--target" and
at least mentions that you'll need a cross-compiler, but nowhere does
it explain how to actually do this.  that's a pretty glaring omission,
it would seem.  why introduce the idea of cross-compiling a source RPM
unless you explain how to do it?

rday