Re: Guidelines for multi-distro spec files?

I've done a great deal of this.  The amount of extra time needed to
support a spec that works on multiple distros is quite large.  It is mostly
testing effort, I believe.  When problems are discovered, they are generally
fixed quickly, but the test matrix is large and complicated.

I agree with Jim that it is easiest to support a single spec file for all supported
distros.  You can have a single SRPM that you use to build a binary RPM
on each supported distro, or you can build a single binary RPM that
works on each distro ("one size fits all").  If you do the latter, you'll probably
have to build on the distro with the oldest libraries, and hope that all the
rest are sufficiently backwards compatible to make it work.

Alternatively, you can explore making your app LSB compliant, and
require that supported platforms be LSB compliant.
http://www.opengroup.org/lsb/cert/cert_prodlist.tpl

One of the hardest parts is with init scripts.  If your package doesn't
include a daemon that should start at boot-time, you're in luck.  If you
do have a daemon, you'll have to write the init script in such a way
that it works on all distros.  This means using both chkconfig comments
and INIT INFO comments.   Also, in your %post
and %preun you'll have to do different things to register the init script
with the system.  Do you use chkconfig, insserv, or /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd?
Here in particular your life will be easier if you can require that the platforms
you install on are LSB compliant.  Then you only have to code for one way
of doing things.
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/iniscrptact.html
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/initscrcomconv.html
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/initsrcinstrm.html
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/iniscrptfunc.html

Even if you don't fully embrace LSB, you'll do well to follow the FHS and the LSB
package naming conventions.  This means installing everything into
<package> are registered with LANANA (www.lanana.org).  Also, prefix your RPM
name with "<package>-" or "<provider>-" as well as your init scripts (which have
to go in /etc/init.d vs. /etc/opt/<package>).  This way you will avoid the potential for
namespace collisions.  Hint: LD_RUN_PATH (not to be confused with LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
can be very useful here.  See 'man ld' for details.

For examples, you can look at these:
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1306&release_id=989#selected
Of particular interest might be the init scripts within the packages and the handling of init scripts
in %post and %preun.  You'll have to pick a package that has a daemon to see those, such as apache,
tomcat, or samba.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask if anything needs to be elaborated.

--
Bart Whiteley <bwhiteley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of information solutions