Re: Rebuilding the database from scratch ??

Hi Bob,

yeah, that should fix it -- at least it worked in my case (thk God tar
did not stop working). The steps I took were:

on the 'healthy' machine:
-----
tar cvjf /tmp/glibc-ok.tbz `rpm -ql glibc`
(repeat this step -- changing names accordingly -- to all glibc-*
packages you have installed on the 'ill' machine)

on the 'ill' machine:
-----
tar cvjf /tmp/glibc-bad-backup.tbz `rpm -ql glibc`
(just in case... again, repeat to all glibc-* packages)
cd /
tar xvjf glibc-ok.tbz
(these came from the healthy machine)
ldconfig -v
(don't know if this is really necessary)

There's something else you might want to try: if you have a RH-provided
kernel on your bootloader configuration, you might want to try booting
it, since it might work with the RH-only glibc.

And, once your system is usable again, make sure you install the new
(fixed) glibc RPMs, just so that RPM database stays consistent.

HTH

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa