Re: Strange rpm check-files behaviour

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 03:52:25PM -0600, Tim Mooney wrote:

> Why?  Because shared libraries are necessary to as part of the minimum
> runtime for the package, so they need to be included in the main
> package itself (or perhaps a <whatever>-runtime subpackage, that all the
> other packages will likely require) for the package to work.  If they were
> part of the -devel package, then the main package would depend on the
> devel package, and at that point there's little reason to have -devel as
> a separate package.
>
> The -devel package generally only includes static libraries and header
> files, and maybe some other support stuff (api documentation, autoconf
> macros, or whatever).

Sorry, but you are wrong here.  Look at the rpm spec files that have a
devel subpackage.  In general, the non-devel packages include

	%{_libdir}/lib*.so.*

(so: lib*.so.<someversion>) and the devel packages include

	%{_libdir}/lib*.a
	%{_libdir}/lib*.la
	%{_libdir}/lib*.so

The .so files without a version suffix belongs to the devel package.

Furthermore, the problem I described was that the .so files were not
included *at all*, also not in the main "subversion" package.

Cheers,

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>