Re: building packages from binaries

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 12:11, Anshuman Kanwar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to build packages from a tree of precompiled binaries. I just
> want to plunk down the binaries in a known location and generate some
> configuration using rpm. I don't need to compile source and hence do not
> need the src.rpm package. Does anyone have instructions on how to do this ?

You do need a source rpm; in this case the binaries are your sources and
you just need to install them in the correct location.

Create a src.rpm package where the %prep and %build phases do almost
nothing (I think you might need %prep to move the binaries into the
build directory. Experiment with that) and the %install phase puts the
binaries into the correct location under the RPM_BUILD_ROOT tree, just
like a normal %install would do for a source rpm. Then package them up
as normal in the %files section.

Malcolm