Re: Deleted RPM backup database and rpm no longer works

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:01:00 -0600
Cory Phillips <cphillips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Red Hat 7.2
>
> My /var directory was running out of space, and I discovered the rpm
> system was taking up most of the space, especially with the backup
> database files.  I decided I would take my chances with not having a
> backup, so I copied them to a safe location and then deleted the
> backup.
>

> Well, to my surprise the rpm system quit working, so I tried the
> initialize rpm parameter, which made me an empty database.  That
> wasn't what I really wanted, so now all I have is my saved backup.
> How can I reinstate everything as it was with my backup?  Will copying
> it into the primary (/var/lib/rpm) and backup(/var/lib/rpm.save)
> directories work?

Hello, Cory :)
I don't know if you're supposed to do that, but I tried the exact same
thing once, and it worked perfectly.  In my situation, I didn't delete
anything, but the RPM database suffered serious harm of some kind :)
So, I took the tarball of the database that I had made immediately after
my most recent installation, untarred it and replaced the entire
/var/lib/rpm directory with the version I tarballed right after an
installation.  Guess what happened?  It worked perfectly :)  Of course,
I had installed some RPM's since I had made the tarball, so I just
reinstalled them (maybe I forced them, I can't remember), and I was
perfectly back in business :)  I had tried the ways that it is supposed
to be done, and nothing worked.  My method, and the method you appear to
be contemplating, may be ugly, but it worked for me :)

Good Luck :)
Steven P. Ulrick