Re: sound installation problem

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 11:17 +0400, Sergey Finogenov wrote:
> Could you help me with installing sound on my laptop, please?
> I've got dell D630 with Linux RH Enreprises installed.
> I tried with sndconfig. It replyed with message that no kernel modular sound defined (didn't find soundcore.o)
> One more issue: I hasn't found /etc/modules.conf
> I am not too keen in Linux. Could you explain for dummy, please.

Sergy, open up a terminal window. type:  more /etc/modules.conf

Which should show you the contents, ergo the file exists. Not sure about
RH, so you might need to be root when you do this, depending on the file
permissions. Do you know what kind of soundcard you have on the
motherboard, or is it a separate soundcard?? We need to know what kind,
what version of RH you have installed, what kernel. Do you have
technical support for your RH install?? If it's an older version, it
might not support your soundcard at all, without updating it. I'm more
used to new versions of Fedora, myself.

If you have a really new version of RH, the file would presumably be
named modprobe.conf instead of modules.conf. Try looking for that. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar