[Sound] RE: Audigy under Redhat8: sound... but some issues.

ok i did all that and have some sucsess... but still probs.
what i did is at the end of this email... but what i found is below..

i am using the 3rd port on the back of the audigy 2 which is meant to be front left and right when you have a 2 speaker set up like i have.  but no sound came from that.  i plugged the speakers into the digital out port and got the sound with a lot of static etc (which is meant to happen when you dont have digital speakers) so this means it is kind of working.  i also found that plugging my speakers into the rear left and right port or even the subwoofer port, i got clean sound.  so it kind of works.

but... the sound keeps giving little popping sounds and the bad thing is it just stops after a few seconds... then you have to re start the application you were using to play sounds.  this was consistent behaviour... and as i said, sound out of the subwoofer or rear port only.

Are there configuration things i have to fix?  how can i fix this popping and stopping issue.
and... how can i switch cards to card 1 (yamaha) when i want to.

Thanks for your help..

what i actually did....
i got the driver, libs utils and kernel from cvs all into the same dir as dirs for each.  then i did the ./compile for the drivers, then make install for the drivers and then repeated for libs and then utils (don't know what i was meant to do with the alsa-kernel though).
i also made sure that /usr/src was set up with two sym links, one called linux-2.4 and one just called linux, both pointing to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14.  as you can tell, that is the kernel i am using (out of the red hat cds).
i did not set up any kernel .config file in the /lib/modules/2.4.18-14 which was nesesary for installing the cvs of emu10k1 that i mentioned earlier.  but i imagine this would not be nesesary for the alsa stuff anyway.??
by the way... i did all of this stuff with ./cvscompile and make install as root.  hope this is ok??  it all seemed to work.  the drivers took the longest to compile.
then i changed the modules.conf with the audigy stuff for card 0 and the yamaha stuff for card 1.  then unmuted.  no sound.
then i rebooted, and tried to run stuff like alsamixer and alsacntl but realised i had not done the ./snddevices step so i did that and all started to work ok... the mixerat least.
i unmuted things in the alsamixer and stored them using alsacntl.
but still no sound.
that is when i tried the digital and rear / subwoofer ports and got some sound.