From: "Mirabella, Mathew J" <Mathew.Mirabella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "RedHat List" <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; "RedHat Install List"
<redhat-install-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; "RedHat Sound List"
<sound-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; "RedHat8.0 List" <psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Brian Bilbro" <b_bilbro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 6:45 PM
Subject: [Sound] Audigy sound driver problem with installing.

> All.
>
> I have a problem installing the emu10k1 stuff.  I got it from cvs (latest
source) and read the instructions in the ./doc/redme file.  it says you
should be able to do a make and if the right kernel is reported, do a make
again, and then make install.  change the modules-info file.. etc.

> so i did  a make and got an error message.
>
> /lib/modules/linux-2.4.18-24.8.0/build... no such file or directory... or
could not be found etc.
> i expect that to use emu10k1 you have to have kernal source at hand.
>
> so i looked in /lib/modules and found a few dirs in there.  some were.
> linux-2.4.18-14
> linux-2.4.18-24.8.0
>
> This is because i did a fresh install of red hat 8 from the CDS which
contained the kernal 2.4.18-14, and then i installed the erata for the
kernal 2.4.18-24.8.0.  So it is not surprising that there are dirs for both
of them here.

> however going into the 2.4.18-24.8.0 dir, i find a number of things, amung
them a sym link called build which has no target (blinking on a red
background).  i then went into the dir linux-2.4.18-14 to find a sym link
called build that did have a target.... at /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14

> so i went to /usr/src and i did find a few dirs in there,
> linux-2.4.18-14
> redhat
> linux-2.4 (this is a sym link to something, i did not check)
>
> but did not find a dir for linux-2.4.18-24.8.0.  that is, the source for
the new kernal did not seem to get installed.  Why is this?

> I then went to the SRPMS that i got from the redhat updates site and found
the sources for the kernal 2.4.18-24.8.0
> there were a few rpms, one with the kernal, one with kernal-utils.  so i
installed these kernal sources.  but nothing seemed to happen to the
/usr/src dir.  that is, no dir appeared for 2.4.18-24.8.0.  Why is this?
where did the rpm put that source i installed.  the rpm install seemed to
work fine at the time.
> when running rpm -ivv to get a more verbose output, i saw references to
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> so i went to that dir and still could not find anything related to
2.4.18-24.8.0

> i then went back to /lib/modules/ and created a sym link called
linux-2.4.18-24.8.0 linking to the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES dir on the off
chance that emu10k1 would then find what it needed.

> on going back to emu10k1 dir i did a make and got a similar message.  i
think it searched in the SOURCES dir but still could not find what it
needed.  it reported that i needed to do a make configure on the SOURCES
dir.  doing this did nothing of cource because the /usr/src/redhat/SOSOURCES
dir did not have anything to configure.  there were a lot of sources in
there though.

> i then removed the symlink i created in /lib/modules.
>
> after all this, going back to /usr/src i found that the linux-2.4 symlink
was broken.  i linked it back to the linux-2.4.18-14 dir that is in
/lib/modules/ .. hope this was the right thing to do?  i think that this is
what it linked to origionally, but i am not sure.

> Anyway.  how can i get the 2.4.18-24.8.0 source in the right place?  how
can i install emu10k1 properly?

> should i boot with the old kernal  and then install it with that and then
boot to the new kernal and link the module in?  not sure this will work
since i think you need the kernel source.

> any help would be apreciated.  hope i have not done anything bad to the
system.  If anyone can see where i have gone wrong with symlinks etc or what
i can do to restore things... please let me know.