[Sound] Problems with KDE sounds.

I've recently installed Redhat 7.3 on a pre-built OS-less Microtel from
Walmart.  It comes with an on-board VIA VT8233 audio card.  When I first
installed it, I couldn't get any sound; sndconfig failed to produce noise
during the test phase, the 'test sound' button on the KDE sound server
configurator produced nothing.  I checked the Mixer to make sure all the
volumes were at correct levels, still nothing.  lsmod informed me that I
was using via82cxxx_audio for the sound driver.

I downloaded the updated driver from VIA's website and installed it
according to their instructions.  Now, I can play wavs, mp3s, cds, and
mpgs and hear them, and the 'Test Sound' button on the Sound Server
configurator produces audible output.  However, I can't hear any of the
KDE system sounds, and gAIM also produces no audible output.  Neither do
shockwave flash movies being played in Mozilla.

Opening the Mixer to check volume levels results in the little hourglass
icon as the Mixer tries to load, and eventually fails.

A ps -efw|grep artsd reveals that it appears to be running, as my username
(not root), with the options -F 10 -S 4096 -d -m artsmessage -l 3 -f

lsmod output:

sr_mod                 16920   0 (autoclean)
binfmt_misc             7556   1
autofs                 12132   0 (autoclean) (unused)
8139too                16480   1
mii                     2408   0 [8139too]
ipchains               43528  11
ide-scsi                9664   0
scsi_mod              108608   2 [sr_mod ide-scsi]
ide-cd                 30272   0
cdrom                  32224   0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
viaudio                18756   2
soundcore               6692   2 [viaudio]
usb-uhci               24452   0 (unused)
usbcore                73216   1 [usb-uhci]
ext3                   67136   3
jbd                    49400   3 [ext3]

Dave

[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]