[Sound] please help a newbie, red hat 8 and cs4610

Hey guys, I'm brand spanking new to Linux and am in
need of some help.  I just installed Red Hat 8 and I
have an old Cirrus Logis CS4610 SoundFusion Audio
Accelerator (according to soundcard detection).  I can
hear audio cd's just fine, but I cant get any other
kind of sounds to play (including the test sounds).
When I start a session using KDE, I get the following
error...

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output
device.

I apparently cannot get into /dev/mixer either when I
try to run gnome-volume-control

According to Hardware Browser, these are my sound
cards...

Crystal Audio:GAME
Manufacturer:Unknown
Driver:cs4232
Device:N/A

Crystal Audio:MPU
Manufacturer:Unknown
Driver:cs4232
Device:N/A

Crystal Audio:WSS/SB
Man! ufacturer:Unknown
Driver:ad1848
Device:N/A

there is also 1 under Unknown Devices

Crystal Audio:CTRL
Manufacturer:Unknown
Driver:ns558
Device:N/A

I've tried using sndconfig also, but my soundcard is not supported by it.

I used to have RH8 installed before also, but could
not figure out how to fix the audio problem.  I had
even tried ALSA but I always got some kind of error
when I tried compiling/configuring/installing it
according to the directions on their website.

At this point, I'm not sure about what other
information I need to give, but is there anybody who
can help me?

Thanks in advance,
Tejas Gandhi

Do you Yahoo!?
[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]