Re: Error message: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp'

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 01:59:33PM -0700, Richard Shinn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I run redhat-config-soundcard, the configuration
> tool indicates that it has found my VIA Technologies
> VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller and is using module
> via82cxxx_audio. But, when I click on the Play test
> sound button, I get the following error message:
>
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
>
> but the file is there:
> crw-------    1 rich     root      14,   3 Aug 30
> 2002 /dev/dsp
>
> Can anybody tell me what might be wrong with /dev/dsp?

/dev/dsp is just a "hook" into the kernel that looks like a file.  If
the stuff in the kernel is not there, then you get the error you
describe.

> I've scoured everthing I can think of in the Linux
> Redhat manual and am coming up empty.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Rich Shinn

I have pretty much the same thing.  Here are the relevant lines in my
/etc/modules.conf:

pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb isapnp=1
alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio

The last line shown is the one that is most important.  The others may
or may not be needed.  (I had a Sound Blaster in there before I turned
on the on-board sound.)  Is yours similar?

Cheers,
robertmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.cumbytel.com/~bobcatos/
You can always tell luck from ability by its duration.

[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]