ac97 problems/computer freezes

I have a gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard with an onboard ac97 chipset.
Although redhat 9 properly detects it,once I try to play a sound, it randomly craches. For example, when I enable the gnome sound server with sound effects on, the panel randomly crashes when an effect is supposed to play (starting a program etc.).
This also happens to many applications which use audio.Xmms crashes too with the eSound plugin, but once I select the alternative OSS sound output plugin it plays properly!

Any help here?Should I include any log files to my reply?