Re: USB devices

Thank you very much for those informations, they were very useful.
best regards.
convoluted process.

My system has two USB ports. I've just recently been given a Hewlett
Packard ScanJet 3300C flat-bed scanner which I've attempted to use. The
system acknowledges an USB device is connected when the scanner is powered
up. The command:

sane-find-scanner

passes once I uncommented the bottom two lines in the file
/etc/sane.d/hp.conf, namely

/dev/usb/scanner0
option connect-device

Making tests and reading the log files I see that this scanner is identified
by

VENDOR 0x3f0
DEVICE 0x205

As this device code was not shown in the hp.conf file I was not surprised to
see that

scanimage -L

fails with the message

usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
scanner.c: write_scanner: NAK received
No scanners were identified (etc, etc)

Basically I assume that the sane backend does not have support for this
scanner built in. Am I correct? Is there anything I can do?

Now the second part of my request. Can anyone please tell me how I identify
the device names for the two USB ports? What I want to do is access them in
the form of

/dev/usb/???

or similar. Assume (for this thought process) I have two black-boxes, one
connected to each of the USB ports. And finally, could someone please tell
me the physical specifications - pin-outs, voltages levels, etc - of an USB
port?

Thanks for reading this far.

Alan.

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.