USB devices

First, some background info. My earliest experience with Unix was back in the early 1980s with System III (a version which had heavy influences from Version 7 & BSD 4.1). On January 1st this year I installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my new (new to me) home system as the sole O/S. (I don't like "ScotiforM" software.) At present, this system does not have Internet access (nor a printer!) and so even using this mailing list is a bit of a convoluted process.

My system has two USB ports. I've just recently been given a Hewlett Packard ScanJet 3300C flat-bed scanner which I've attempted to use. The system acknowledges an USB device is connected when the scanner is powered up. The command:

                         sane-find-scanner

passes once I uncommented the bottom two lines in the file /etc/sane.d/hp.conf, namely

                         /dev/usb/scanner0
                            option connect-device

Making tests and reading the log files I see that this scanner is identified by

                         VENDOR 0x3f0
                         DEVICE 0x205

As this device code was not shown in the hp.conf file I was not surprised to see that

                         scanimage -L

fails with the message

                        usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
                        scanner.c: write_scanner: NAK received
                        No scanners were identified (etc, etc)

Basically I assume that the sane backend does not have support for this scanner built in. Am I correct? Is there anything I can do?

Now the second part of my request. Can anyone please tell me how I identify the device names for the two USB ports? What I want to do is access them in the form of

                        /dev/usb/???

or similar. Assume (for this thought process) I have two black-boxes, one connected to each of the USB ports. And finally, could someone please tell me the physical specifications - pin-outs, voltages levels, etc - of an USB port?

Thanks for reading this far.

Alan.