RE: X-window blue screen (was RE: (no subject))

> Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. wrote:
>
> I'm running Redhat 9 with all updates. (Im still quite new to
> linux, too.)

Are you sure? Where are you getting updates from? "Offical" support for RH9
is now through the Fedora Legacy project (www.fedoralegacy.org) and many
packages have been updated. The rhnd and up2date installs are not configured
to look there for new updates.

I recommend you go there and review the process on getting the latest
updated packages. They have a mailing list too (info on that is on the site)
which will keep you informed on new updates. Plus you might find additional
help there (though please note it's NOT a help list, it's a list for those
helping in the project).

> Since my last up2date on Redhat 9, I have had two occasions
> where closing
> the X window system by using the log-out door in Gnome has
> resulted in a
> hung x-window - a blue screen.  Ctrl-Alt-F(x) would not work.
> Neither
> would Ctrl-alt-del. On the first occasion I had to push the
> physical reset
> button.  The system restared in maintenance mode because
> device null had
> somehow been dammaged.  Fortunately I found help by searching
> for "dup2:
> bad file descriptor" and "/dev/null: Read-only filesystem".
>
> The original situation happened again when I tried to shut
> down Gnome by
> logging out. The system was running very slow, so I decided
> to shut down
> the x-window system.  I was presented with the same situation
> as before.
> No keyboard response, and a blank blue screen.
>
> Fortunately, the system was networked, so, fearing a repeat
> of the first
> experience, I used telnet to log in from another computer,
> executed su,
> and then reboot.  This time the system came up without the
> null problem,
> but I'm concerned that the legacy updates to the Redhat 9
> X-window system
> has some sort of problem, either with the configuration in my
> system or in
> the x-window system itself.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.

Unfortunetly no, I have not seen this but I recommend that first you make
sure you are fully patched. Then see if the problem persists. If so then
post here with any additional info, maybe someone else will have an answer.

Good luck.

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a Microsoft
user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com