(no subject)

I'm running Redhat 9 with all updates. (Im still quite new to linux, too.)

Since my last up2date on Redhat 9, I have had two occasions where closing the X window system by using the log-out door in Gnome has resulted in a hung x-window - a blue screen. Ctrl-Alt-F(x) would not work. Neither would Ctrl-alt-del. On the first occasion I had to push the physical reset button. The system restared in maintenance mode because device null had somehow been dammaged. Fortunately I found help by searching for "dup2: bad file descriptor" and "/dev/null: Read-only filesystem".

The original situation happened again when I tried to shut down Gnome by logging out. The system was running very slow, so I decided to shut down the x-window system. I was presented with the same situation as before. No keyboard response, and a blank blue screen.

Fortunately, the system was networked, so, fearing a repeat of the first experience, I used telnet to log in from another computer, executed su, and then reboot. This time the system came up without the null problem, but I'm concerned that the legacy updates to the Redhat 9 X-window system has some sort of problem, either with the configuration in my system or in the x-window system itself.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions?

-- Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html 191 White Oaks Road Williamstown, MA 01267-2259 Phone: 413-458-3597

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above page first!)
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.