Re: System stops because /var/log not found after moving to newpartition

Hello.

I'm watching this thread and have one simple question. As I can see bj had a system with some disks partitioned and mounted during installation. That configuration worked fine. Then another disk(s) has been added, partitioned, old ones has been repartitined or anything else (the point is that the partition scheme has changed) and mounted under /mnt. Then symlinks has been created in the filesystem to point to the mounted partitions. My question is why? What kind of advantage is in creating symlinks in the filesystem instead of mounting drives/partitions directly where they are supposed to be? I also had a box with one hdd (60GB IDE one partitioned: 100MB for /boot , 1GB for swap and the rest for /) and have FC3 installed on it. Then I have bought SCSI host adapter and two disks (18 and 9 GB) so I rebooted my box into the single user mode and then formated and mounted drives, copied directories that were supposed to be replaced with new drives, edited fstab to mount drives with a new order and got everything worked fine. My filesystem looks like this (sda is 9GB and sdb is 18GB):

/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hdc on /media/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev)

Regards

Krzysztof