Re: KDE blues

Steven Yellin

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, bj wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I am running Free X and KDE in my Red Hat 8.0 box .
>
> I have a few queries regarding KDE use . Help is appriciated .
>
> 1. How to exit a program which does not have a menu such as FILE/EDIT/VIEW
> etc . The circle on the top left hand corner of the active program minimizes
> it and turns it into a small icom . The square on the top right hand side is
> for changing the size .
>
> So How Do I exit the program.

   Try pushing the F4 key while holding down the ALT key when the window
of the program is active.  If that doesn't work, bring up a terminal
window, do "ps -f" to see the PIDs of all your processes, and do
 kill -9 <PID of the process you want to kill>

> 2. If it is possible , How do I change resolution , windows style.

   Example:  In my /etc/X11/XF86Config is a section

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth     16
      Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

With that in XF86Config I can switch from one resolution to another by
pushing the + or - key on the rightmost keypad of the keyboard while
simultaneously holding down the ALT and CTRL keys.

> 3.If possible , how do I do a print screen on an application such as K-write
> or any other application equivalent to microsoft paint  ?

    For information on one way to do this, look at the import command
("man import" or "info import").  "import junk.ps" will allow you to
select a portion of the screen to go into a postscript file, junk.ps,
and your printer should be able to print out postscript files.
    Another way is to use ksnapshot of the kdegraphics rpm.  To find
how to use it, type the ksnapshot command and get help from the resulting
gui.  Or it can be done with gimp.