Re: DNS lookup failure on Linksys router

Dear Joshua,

If you want to throw a bunch of computers on an internal network to browse out to the world through a cable-modem router then DHCP is fine.

If you are trying to have named systems that you can actess via their names inside your LAN in a mixed environment (Windows and Linux) then you have a substantially more complex situation.

DHCP will give any system on your LAN an IP address, but it will not record the name of that system and transmit it back out to other systems.  That is a DNS service that you have already verified you don't have in your router.

If you want to have dynamic IP Windows boxes you might can use WINS, and I think you can get that setup if you are willing to make one box be a Windows Domain Server, but Linux doesn't participate in the WINS protocol (that I know of) so it won't work with that system.

You are left with two options, both of which require you to go to fixed addresses.
1)  modify everybody's hosts file.
2)  put 'bind' on a machine that IS always on and set up your zone file with the machine's addresses.

There is no mixed environment system that I know of that will hand out dynamic IP addresses, get the host names and then serve them out in a DNS like fashion.

Modifying host files is your 'cheapest' option but more maintenance.  How big is your internal network anyway?

Running BIND is cooler but move overhead from zone file maintenance and harder to set up initially.  And as you noted, the DNS server has to be 'ON' all the time.  It will also have forward external requests to your ISP's name servers for WAN name references and all your machines have to have to point to your DNS server, not the outside ISP name server to get both sets of names.  It's more complicated, but if you must have real name services in an internal LAN situation that's the only way I know to go.

Sincerely,

Greg