Re. Re: Re: DNS lookup failure on Linksys router

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:06:23 -0600 From: Randy Kelsoe <randykel@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: DNS lookup failure on Linksys router To: "Discussion of Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike)" <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx> Message-ID: <41C5DF3F.5060904@xxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
This is a problem. I don't know of any Linksys router that acts as a DNS server. When you setup your router, there is a place to put your ISP's DNS servers, and another place so that the DHCP server in the router can relay the DNS server info to DHCP clients. For your local net, add the 3(?) ( you have phoenix1 listed twice above) machines to your hosts file on the Windows machines as well as the linux machine. In your /etc/resolv.conf, add your ISP's DNS server entries. Your other alternative is to configure DNS on you linux machine and use that as your primary DNS server, and your ISP's DNS servers as secondary.

It does act as DNS for my Windows machines. They have the router set as the only DNS.
Do you really have 2 machines named phoenix1?

You must not be able to tell the difference between a 1 (one) and an l (lowercase L), sorry.
man dos2unix and unix2dos

I will use this a lot, thanks.

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:40:35 -0800 (PST)
From: "Steven J. Yellin" <yellin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: DNS lookup failure on Linksys router
To: "Discussion of Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike)" <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

    Since phoenix1 and phoenix2 can ping phoenixl by name (bad policy to use the difference between "1" and "l" as the only difference between names) I guess you have a router which runs a DNS and knows that phoenixl has IP 192.168.1.105.  I assume the router knows about phoenix1 and phoenix2, too.  Can phoenix1 ping phoenix2 by name?  If so, I don't  know why the router refuses to tell phoenixl the IP's of phoenix1 and  phoenix2. Maybe someone else can help.  But another way of supplying phoenixl with the relationship between IP and name is to add appropriate lines in /etc/hosts for phoenix1 and phoenix2.
    Speaking of /etc/hosts, you may be better off removing the line
192.168.1.105   phoenixl
and replacing the first line
 127.0.0.1      localhost.localdomain   localhost lo
with
 127.0.0.1      localhost.localdomain   localhost phoenix1
so that your computer knows localhost is the same as phoenixl.  That way
it won't matter to phoenixl what IP it gets assigned, and "hostname -f",
"hostname -i", ... may stop complaining about "Host name lookup failure".
All Windows machines can ping each other by name. The point made by listing phoenixl (L) in the hosts file is that if I listed each computer in the hosts file, my problems would go away. For some reason (I know not what) Windows networking (including accessing the Internet) will not work if I disable DHCP in the router and go completely manual with the IP assignments.

If the router serves as DNS to Windows, why not Linux?
-