Re: Re (6th): DNS lookup failure on Linksys router

Joshua E Vines wrote:

I did check with Linksys and my router does /not/ have DNS capabilities of any kine (except forwarding). I am behind a NAT, which may explain why the forwarding is not working correctly. I can not allow Linux to take over DNS for the network because it is not always on. What I decided I need to do is set up BIND to work for my penguin (Linux machine ;-) ), only. The router is /not/ setup with a domain name (or hostname).

Say what? You said you "can not allow Linux to take over DNS for the network", then you say you want to "set up BIND to work for my penguin (Linux machine ;-) ), only".

This is a lot of work for what you want done. You should be able to add your Windows machines' ip addresses to the /etc/hosts file on your linux box. Then add the linux box and the windows boxes' ip addresses to each of you windows boxes' hosts file.

How can I setup BIND to extract internal network IPs from the router's DHCP and forward all Internet requests to the WAN side of the router?

You can use lynx to access the DHCP page:

   lynx -dump -auth=admin:<password> http://192.168.1.1/DHCP.htm

but the hostnames will be on the popup window when you press the 'DHCP Clients' button.